I'm Thinking of Ending Things ★★★★½

Holy fucking shit, what a fantastic movie. I definitely feel as though my personal interpretation of the film is different from most people. There are definitely themes and ideas that are scary and overwhelming, but I personally found hope and beauty in the ending. It’s not a completely dower experience as some people would have you believe, or at least not with the way I interrupted the film. That’s all I will say about that to avoid spoilers. This is one of those films, much like House or anything by David Lynch, where it feels kind of pointless to talk about the cinematography, direction, acting, etc, because everything comes together so perfectly to create such a powerful experience that really defies film. As pretentious as it sounds this isn’t a film, it’s an experience. I’m debating giving this a perfect score, but I want it to sit in my head a little more. This might be one that requires multiple viewings, simply because the true nature of the story doesn’t show itself till the very end. But in all honesty I have no issues with the film. It’s easily my favorite film of the year so far, and if the academy is smart it will be nominated for best picture. If it’s not, the best picture winner very well might be Birds of Prey: and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn at this point. And the idea of that winning best picture is scarier than anything in I’m Thinking of Ending Things. In all seriousness however, I have a strong feeling about this being widely regarded as the best film of 2020 for years to come.

Also quite possibly the best jump scare I have ever seen in a film. You know the one, that really got me good.

2020 Rank