Life of Pi ★★★★★

Yes. I finally get a chance to talk about one of my all time favorite films on Letterboxd. I like to think that Life of Pi helped shaped the person I am today. I first saw the film at a very young age, and I found it to be so potent and raw. I’ve carried ideologies that this film teaches throughout my entire life. I’m not a super religious person necessarily, but the way Pi navigates his faith throughout the film is captivating to me. I feel as though this film can teach a lesson to anyone about love and life, and its a beautiful thing. This may be the closest a film can come to being a spiritual/religious experience. We watched this in my film lit class to study VFX, and my god, are they amazing. Props to the VFX team, I understand the working conditions for this film were really bad, but the work done is jaw dropping to say the least. This is one of the most visually impressive films ever made. The cinematography, direction and VFX work together to make this film a true visual masterwork. I think I mentioned in my review of Arctic how much of a sucker I am for survival movies, and Life of Pi is at the top of the list in that genre. For me the most important aspect of any survival film is the acting, and everyone absolutely kills it in this film. From the late Irrfan Khan to Suraj Sharma. The acting here is Oscar worthy.

Like I said, this is a very special film to me. I don’t think I will ever get tired of it. If you’ve never seen Life of Pi, please go seek it out.

My Favorite Films