Don't Look Up

Don't Look Up ★★★★

Don’t Look Up is smart and dumb in all the right places. It does have an agenda and people will certainly complain that it is “too political.”  But what the film actually calls for is apolitical unity as a country in order to combat climate change and other issues that pose a threat to our own existence. It is a hyperbolically truthful satire of the world we live in today, and clearly intends on reminding us what is at stake if political division continues to halt our ability to take real action as a county and world.

Don’t Look Up felt a bit like an SNL sketch for the first act but quickly gained its footing by the second. Some jokes throughout don’t land, but the overwhelming majority do and got a chuckle out of me. This film is an all too truthful exaggeration America today. As the film progresses, the parts that are not exaggerated become noticeable and it becomes hard to ignore the issues that the film intends to discuss, however satirical in nature. Regardless, there’s some seriously funny stuff in this movie.

All the actors involved crushed their performances. Seeing Leo in a comedy is always interesting, and he does fully commit to this role with a couple standout scenes. The editing was a bit jarring at times due to a style the film establishes early on, but some may like it. Cinematography is nothing special, but doesn’t need to be. CGI does most of the heavy lifting in the asteroid scenes and is passable enough.

Ultimately, Don’t Look Up is a movie made to be accessible. It’s metaphors are heavy handed. But in the age of anti-intellectualism, that may not be such a bad thing. It did not attempt to talk down on anybody or even to be that smart of a movie. Don’t Look Up is a warning about where we are headed as a nation if we continue to further political division, and the inability to solve issues while divided. Many will dislike it for this very reason. But if it persuades anyone to reshape their values and priorities about what is important for humanity, then it has served a purpose.

Drew Clark liked these reviews