The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger ★★★★

I enjoy this one. No other movie reminds me more of Gore Verbinski's most successful, the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

An elderly Comanche, Tonto, tells the story of how he rode with the hero The Lone Ranger, who came back from the dead to avenge the death of his brother.

First off, I think this one is exceedingly well photographed. I dare you not to be in awe of almost every shot in the film - watch it on the best, biggest screen you can find and don't blink or look away even for a moment and you'll see what I mean. The natural environments, the grimy closeups and the spectacularly gorgeous flashback sequences are all lensed exceptionally well.

Secondly, I think the humor largely works, and the action, while wild and crazy like a Saturday morning cartoon (maybe that's what turned people off?), is also highly satisfying, just not a in a very serious or grounded way. It's a grandiose popcorn movie, much like Pirates. Jon Hamm is probably not the greatest actor in the world, but for this role I think he works well with Johnny Depp at his side.

The movie is a bit too long, and the ending just goes on and on, but I still find this really entertaining in an easygoing kind of way. People either go in expecting Schindler's List, or they sit and mentally take notes about storytelling, story flow, editing and technical stuff like that. Let the fun, energy and beautiful images do the talking for once. And if it's not up your alley, I'm sure there are plenty of darling indies you could watch instead.

Robin liked these reviews