Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

Tarantino is a fucking treasure. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood weaves through television westerns, 60s Italian action movies, comedy and over the top action. This is all only the backdrop as the audience sees 1960s Hollywood through the eyes, memories and warped revisions of Quentin Tarantino.

I really can't wait for this movie to have a home release so I can pause the movie and jot down every movie that has a poster or is mentioned in the film. Speaking of movies, seeing Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate watch The Wrecking Crew and the smile on her face to the audience reaction was pure gold. I remember seeing people complain via social media that Margot Robbie didn't have a lot of lines. I wasn't keeping track of her line count but I can confirm that every scene she was in, she made it matter. Every step she took was almost a dance. Her bubbly energy is goddamn contagious.

Next to Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt is the next big star to steal the screen. There is humor in almost everything he says, including an amazing flashback scene. He lives life to the fullest while his best friend struggles to maintain being an actor. I know Pineapple Express was created based on the idea of what Brad Pitt's character in True Romance did other than sleep on a couch but I think this was QT's version of fleshing out that character and he was able to cast Brad Pitt.

Look, I really loved this movie. I sat in the parking lot and did a search for the soundtrack on Spotify and found a podcast with Tarantino talking about the soundtrack, like a whole series, not just one episode. So now I will be diving deep into the musical world of Quentin Tarantino the same as I did when I was a teenager with Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and the Kill Bill soundtracks.

It is rare to sit in a theater with a crowd that was as receptive to a movie as the audience I was a part of. We laughed, cheered and at the end of the movie some people clapped. This was an experience and I can't say that about too many movies.

Rich liked these reviews