Death Proof

Death Proof ★★★

"Moo motherfucker moo"
-Kim

Recently i have re-watched two of Tarantino's classics from the 90's, first i saw the masterful Pulp Fiction and then i re-watched the highly unappreciated Jackie Brown. This left me starving for some good old fashion Tarantino and i decided to go with a picture of him that i oddly i had never seen Death Proof. This is a picture that has been seen by most people but's actually rarely talked about when compared with other of Tarantino's work, that left me a bit scared and the fact that Tarantino himself admits that this is is worst picture, made me go with a few cautions into the movie.

Death Proof is Directed by Quentin Tarantino and it stars Kurt Russell Vanessa Ferlito Jordan Ladd Rosario Dawson Rose McGowan Sydney Tamiia Poitier Tracie Thoms Mary Elizabeth Winstead Zoë Bell Eli Roth and Quentin himself.
"In Austin, Texas, the girlfriends Julia, Arlene and Shanna meet in a bar to drink, smoke and make out with their boyfriends before traveling alone to Lake LBJ to spend the weekend together. They meet the former Hollywood stuntman Mike, who takes Pam out in his "death-proof" stunt car. Fourteen months later, Mike turns up in Lebanon, Tennessee and chase Abernathy, Zoë and Kim, but these girls are tough and decide to pay-back the attack."

Well i will definitely agree with Tarantino's statement that this is is worst picture, though i got to that this for what it is, still manages to be quite good. This isn't the sh*t dreams are made of like Pulp Fiction might be, but Tarantino certainly knows how to play with genre films and how to entertain it's audience, that's what he set out to do and that's exactly what he does.

This film tries to face the same genre of something like Spielberg's Duel. Duel and this one are actually very similar movies, their premises are basically the same: An unknown man follows people in his car, not only does he follow them but he tries to kill them. In both films we know nothing about this man, we know nothing about his intentions or past and the things we know about the victims are given through dialogue.

This picture is clearly divided in two parts. The film delves into the first one quite slowly, basically keeps us satisfied with dialogue and it's characters and with the anticipation for the confirmation that this creepy ass motherf*cker is a f*cking psycho killer. The first part is probably the weakest because the characters on the first half are entertaining enough to watch but they don't hold up the screen. We never create any kind of connection with them and we care little when they ultimately die.

The second one is actually a bit more riveting and the same happens on the second half, this meaning that the film is still tied up by the dialogue. But this time is all the better because we actually care for these characters, these woman are charismatic and they carry the second half on their backs. The dialogue is create, a lot swearing and energy and it was super entertaining to see them talk.
The film also features two climaxes and oddly enough i think the climax for the second half might actually be better, it's an incisive climax, it's short but it's powerful and effective. The second one is a longer climax and it now doubt kicks motherf*cking ass, it was a riot to see these bad ass b*tches beat the sh*t out of that motherf*cker but i do think it lacked the incisiveness of the first one.

When it comes to acting, well you wont see the usual Oscar material you usually see in Tarantino's flicks but it's still pretty good. Kurt Russell appears on the headline of the cast, it's a kind of comeback performance and it works in ways, he certainly sells his character with no difficulty but's it's not an iconic performance. Of the ladies, well i really liked Tracie Thoms and Zoë Bell, basically because they kick ass, they are awesome. Zoë Bell is actually a Tarantino regular and she and Russell are going to star in Tarantino's next film The Hateful Eight which is coming next years Christmas. Shes not a big familiar face, she's a stuntman turned actress and well she sure needs to be on front of the screen more often, she's a badass and she really did pull out some f*cking risky stunts for these picture.

Death Proof does have some problems, it feels inconsistent and at times it isn't as exciting as i hoped it would be and It lacks more memorable characters too and at times seems to be trying to hard to be stylized and it's overall the least enduring work we have seen from Tarantino but it's still a good times, with some laughs and thrills and i did enjoy my time.
Rating:B-