Harakiri

Harakiri ★★★★½

I have wanting to see this movie for a long times, and has i waited the more and more i heard about this movie, i heard really great things so the hype and hopes were really high, but the actual expectations were not that high because The Samurai genre is not a favorite of mine so that putted the hype down. So is Harakiri as good as everybody says it is?
Harakiri is directed by Masaki Kobayashi and it stars Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Ishihama, Shima Iwashita.
"An elder ronin samurai arrives at a feudal lord's home and requests an honorable place to commit suicide. But when the ronin inquires about a younger samurai who arrived before him things take an unexpected turn."
And i got to say that fortunately Harakiri is as good as i hoped it would be, this is no doubt up there with something like "Seven Samurai" in terms of Samurai movies. And what a way to be introduced to Masaki Kobayashi.
The movie starts slowly but there wasn't a time in this movie where i felt bored...because everything felt just right, this is movie has some almost perfect film-making.
Visually perfect, i mean this is some of the best Black-White cinematography i have seen. The editing also very impressive and then we have the perfect score... absolutely chilling.
The movie just builds itself perfectly, giving away very little at a time, keeping us interested in the mystery around Hanshiro Tsugumo basically keeping us completely attached to the screen.
The movie also surprised me because it was actually pretty brutal and graphic and that was definitely something i was not expecting from a 51 year movie.(Spoilers) The Bambu Harakiri(suicide) scene was much more graphic than i thought it would be, it was pretty disturbing actually.(End of spoilers).
Another thing that i was happily surprised by were the fight sequences, most old samurai movie have ridiculous i would say even laughable fight scenes, and the fight scenes in Harakiri, although dated are actually pretty great.
The movie also surprised me in the acting, old Japanese movies usually have contained acting in dramas and over the top acting in samurai movies, but in Harakiri the acting is just perfect every single actor is great but the highlight is with no doubt Tatsuya Nakadai who is also known for his masterful performance in Ran.
Harakiri is more than a samurai is a landmark in Japanese film-making and in film history. It's story-telling is masterful, i features a great screenplay by the 95 year old living legend Shinobu Hashimoto , it also has some fabulous cinematography editing and score and to complement we also have some fantastic acting and directing, Harakiri is a untouchable classic.
Rating:A