Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World ★★★★

"We are sex bob-omb! And we are here to watch Scott Pilgrim kick your teeth in! Onetwothreefour!"

Yesterday i saw a 2014 release, a musical called God Help the Girl...i almost got aids. With that said i hated that picture but weirdly enough that one brought this one to mind. I guess it came to mind because this was the antithesis of that picture, both films though completely distinct, followed a group of kids and their band. One of them being boring as f*ck and the other one being Sex Bob-Omb, who you can tell are cool just by their name. Maybe too cool for me. I was curious in re-watching it, this was actually the first Edgar Wright picture that i liked (and i had already seen the two first Cornetto features), so i was interested in seeing how it had aged.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is Directed by Edgar Wright and it stars Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick, Brandon Routh, Alison Pill, Jason Schwartzman, Ellen Wong, Satya Bhabha, Mae Whitman, Johnny Simmons and Brie Larson.
"Scott Pilgrim plays in a band which aspires to success. He dates Knives Chau, a high-school girl five years younger, and he hasn't recovered from being dumped by his former girlfriend, now a success with her own band. When Scott falls for Ramona Flowers, he has trouble breaking up with Knives and tries to romance Ramona. As if juggling two women wasn't enough, Ramona comes with baggage: seven ex-lovers, with each of whom Scott must do battle to the death in order to win Ramona."

Maybe you thought i was mad when i sad i was curious on seeing how the film had aged, since the picture is only four years old. The fact is that much of the film's glamour and attraction it's its impressive visuals, most of them made by heavy CGI. For example it's clear that Avatar today isn't nearly as impressive or stunningly looking as it seemed back then. So my question was: "if the CGI had aged badly, would the film become awkward and ineffective."

Fortunately though, there's no reason for you to ask yourself that question since the movie's CGI is still pretty spectacular. Edgar Wright has shown great talent and unique visual styles in all of his features but i think that we would all agree that this is the most exquisite and dazzling of his.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is famously a graphic novel adaptation. And we have recently been presented with these kind of adaptations from the booed and massive box-office failure Sin City: A Dame To Kill For and even last years applauded and Palm d'Or winner Blue is the Warmest Color.

Though not my favorite of the bunch, it is this picture that is more successfully able to translate the graphic novel/comic book feeling and world to the screen. Even though i was never a fan of either i was able to truly appreciate and enjoy that feeling. Edgar Wright brings the pages of the graphic novel to the screen, in a nearly immaculate way. You could argue that in the Cornetto Trilogy, the film's stars are the two lead actors but here that is not a fact. Scott Pilgrim is Wright's showcase as a talented and brilliantly inventive and funny director. Who gives a fresh, fun and absurd sense to the whole picture.

The film's looks are really the biggest perk of the whole film. It is what makes the picture such an exciting and unique experience. Wright's visual nuances between the influence of the graphic novel and his own style make this picture a delight to see. From the impressive colorful, eye popping CGI to the fabulous and inventive editing that's to die for.

The casting of the leading man though might actually be one of the things that didn't go as smoothly as hoped. I'm not a fan of Michael Cera, i don't hate him, i even like him in Juno while many heckle him for giving a one note performance. I get the why of his casting, it's funny because Cera looks like a dork with self made haircut and at the same time he's a super-hero, rock star who's good with the ladies. I get it, but i do think that he failed to charm me at times since he even becomes vexatious, annoying and that took the fun out of the experience at times.

The rest of the cast though, i thought was pretty much on the spot. From Alison Pill, Chris Evans, Ellen Wong, Anna Kendrick, Kieran Culkin, Brie Larson and Jason Schwartzman. The co-star that shines in the film is Mary Elizabeth Winstead. She reminded me a lot of a personal little past love of mine and i couldn't help but fell for her character. First her hair is super awesome and she's sexy and mega bad-ass with it. She enchants the screen with her looks, humor and kick ass scenes.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a film that feels fresh, energetic and innovative, definitely not alike anything i have seen before. From it's kick ass indie garage rock soundtrack, to it's fast paced scenarios and brilliant visual style, Pilgrim impresses. The only things that let's down a bit is it's slightly obnoxious lead performances and some battle of the exes that felt unsatisfying.
Still visually unique, funny, Pilgrim captures the energy of the graphic novels and the energy of being teen.

Rating:B