Stop Making Sense

Stop Making Sense ★★★½

”Ce que j'ai fais, ce soir la
Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir la
Realisant mon espoir
Je me lance, vers la gloire”

I cannot say that I am a fan of the Talking Heads because I’m not. I am not purely because I don’t know enough about their discography to say that I love them. I know them and I have listened to a couple of their albums but those never truly stayed with me. Still that didn’t mean that I would be able to enjoy this concert picture. I remember going into The Last Waltz knowing nothing about The Band and ended up loving that picture. So yeah I was hopeful it would be a nice time.

Stop Making Sense is Directed by Jonathan Demme.

This picture is ranked amidst the 40 highest rated films in the whole website, which is insane! This tells a lot about the musical taste of our community. Stop Making Sense is a picture that just like The Last Waltz is totally enjoyable, even for those who might not be familiar with the band or it’s genre. First of all because the music is good which is probably the most important thing and secondly because the artistic direction that the band and its director takes is new, original, fresh.

The Last Waltz is in my view a better film, I prefer its music and I think that Scorsese’s meticulous direction is phenomenal. This one is different as it doesn’t cover an event, this is the combination of four different concerts who are here put together as one. Unlike The Last Waltz, in here we find additional recordings, made posteriorly to the concerts. At times it is clear that the image and sound are not compatible.

Still this is more than entertaining. The direction is one of a young and inspired Jonathan Demme, I miss this guy, where is he nowadays? It’s alive and full of energy, seeing David Byrne dancing (I guess I have to call it that) and speaking French (that makes mine looks like a million dollars) is entertaining by itself. It’s a must see for fans of the band, but even those who are not as familiar with the Talking Heads will surely have a nice time.

Rating:B-