Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★½

Wow, I really was not expecting this to be this good. Judging by the many other Amazon prime originals I’ve seen over the years my expectations weren’t too high for this one but I am so pleasantly surprised.
One of the things I can appreciate most about Sound of Metal it’s the characterization during the early parts of the film. I love how you’re able to learn so much about Ruben as a character from all the mundane tasks he does. Not even just that but the way the characters look through makeup and costumes really says a lot about who they are as people. It’s a prime example of why “show don’t tell” is a key element to a good film.
Speaking of the characters, the performances by the lead actors is also worthy of praise. This is my first role I’ve seen Riz Ahmed in and it really makes me want to explore his filmography. As someone who was a huge fan of Bates Motel when it was on air, it was such a cool surprise to see Olivia Cooke and she killed it. The times in the film where Ruben could not hear anything you could almost physically feel because of the vibrations and drones they would use to fill the space. It does a great job at putting you in the place of the character and further understand what he is going through.
The cinematography by Daniël Bouquet was also quite good. I’m usually a fan of more elaborate camera work but for this film I think the stagnant angles and still-shots work pretty well and the scenes where they used a handheld were really effective as well. As far as pacing goes I think it was the only thing I had a bit of a problem with, it can feel a bit slow and drawn out at times. I also wish there was a lot more buildup to him losing his hearing I found the abruptness kind of amateur. Other than that I enjoyed this film very much.
After seeing Sound of Metal I’m pleased to say I can’t wait to see what Darius Marder does next. Until then, I’ll be eagerly waiting.
In conclusion: You should deafinitely watch this movie.

Rua liked this review