Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★

“You are real, right?”
“I’m as real as a donut, motherfucker.”

First I’d like to start with what I enjoyed: Leo/Brad dynamic, Al Pacino, Dakota Fanning holy shit, and the overall production design by Barbara Ling. I loved the Hollywood Boulevard sequences I can’t imagine how difficult it was to shoot because those were real btw no digital set extensions were used. Rick Dalton’s house was definitely my favorite set piece and wow that poster above the tv?! I need it. Other than that? Ehhhhh.
This film has a lot of problems and I feel like most of them could’ve been solved with some cleaning up of the script and/or edit. I’ll be honest and say I haven’t enjoyed a Tarantino since Sally Menke’s passing. Their dynamic was so integral to the absolute punch of every scene in every single one of his early films... at least in my opinion it’s what made those movies so fucking great.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that in a perfect reality this Tarantino script would’ve been directed by Tony Scott or edited by Sally Menke and it would only be 1 hour and 47 minutes long.

Block or Report