Jojo Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit ★★★★½

"Love is the strongest thing in the world."

A hail of soul and satire as balanced and sincere as it is wildly inspired. The mere existence of Jojo Rabbit is surreal enough to raise an eyebrow or three, yet the film absolutely flourishes thanks to the stylistic dexterity and clarity of writer-director-actor Taika Waititi. From its eccentric swagger to the genuine warmth fueling its hopeful core, the filmmaker displays a level of control and competency that gives life to his fluent vision of reclamation and demolition. Waititi tackles the enormity of the topics at hand, particularly stolen innocence and indoctrinated animosity, with a distinct authenticity that's effortlessly intimate. The lessons in play are unquestionably universal, thankfully accessible to younger audiences, and wonderfully realized by both the filmmaker and the outstanding talent on screen, the likes of which include Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlett Johansson, and Sam Rockwell.

Jojo Rabbit's relentless attitude is inescapable, and thank God for that. Few other films this year contain a fraction of the tenderness and skill present in Waititi's latest effort. The varied humor and palpable drama are truly harmonious, allowing the picture the thrive from one beat to the next while exemplifying the artistry present on all fronts of the production. A superb and spirited achievement that'll warm even the most bitter of hearts in these confounding times. Absurd, yes, but never once dishonest.

"So, a little about me. Who am I and why am I here talking to a bunch of little titty grabbers instead of leading my men into battle towards glorious death? Great question."

Ryne liked these reviews