The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★½

"The endgame has begun... That? Is that what you're looking for?"

The delights are numerous, the inspired technique positively jaw-dropping. The Mitchells vs. The Machines has energy and heart on its side, and in spades. Endearing characters given life by a winning cast, dynamic animation, and lessons fit for any age. The film succeeds on so many levels, though I admit that the second half did leave me teetering on the edge of disappointment as the finesse common to the story until then seems to fade as the writing struggles to fully connect its themes and thoughts amid the lively chaos. It all becomes a little too muddled, even stale, by the end, the humor and grand charm working hard to keep you glued to the screen regardless of cohesion or clarity. You remain entertained, absolutely, but your investment does wobble more than you would've anticipated given the soulful strides of the first act and a half.

As long as Sony Pictures Animation and the creative duo of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller continue giving talent and stories of this imagination a chance, you can expect plenty of hungry audiences on opening day. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse still takes the cake, but The Mitchells vs. The Machines is a delightful and touching enough effort to hold us over until Miles Morales swings back onto screens next Fall. So, enjoy this wild road trip in the meantime and see some serious artists and a stellar cast having a total blast.

"Oh my gosh. It's like a Journey album cover."

Ryne liked these reviews