The Irishman ★★★½

Martin Scorsese's resume speaks for itself, he's one of the greatest directors in the history of cinema. When this ambitious project was first announced it seemed like a home run, but as word began to trickle out about the issues with production and the heavy use of de-aging technology, I began to have some trepidation's. There's a lot to love about this film, particularly the the long take shootout in Little Italy, the Pacino I'm going to jail speech, and the Hoffa versus Tony Pro shorts at a meeting debacle. You've all read about the terrific performances by Joe Pesci and Al Pacino, but Stephen Graham was also a standout for me.

About an hour into the movie I found myself wishing that they made this movie 20 years ago. That's not to say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the film at times, I was just left wondering what this film could have been if everyone involved had been in their primes (other than Marty). I respect the ambitious creative decision to de-age De Niro, but some of the scenes where he is beating people up (most notably the store clerk) I found myself wishing they had gone in another direction. Over the course of the film the character development between Hoffa and Sheeran, and Sheeran and Bufalino is expertly crafted. When a line is drawn into the sand near the end of the 3rd act, De Niro really shines. Let's hope this isn't Scorsese's last mob film because nobody crafts them quite like him. (7/10)