Midsommar ★½

This movie is visually stunning, but that's where the positives end. Apart from the gorgeous scenery, it's hard to think about anything but how much better this could have been if it actually elaborated on any of the threads it started. Psychedelic drugs would have been such a fantastic thing to milk the hell out of in a horror film, but instead we get 1.5 bad trips as a side note (and it doesn't really end up being much of a horror film anyway).

The bad relationship at the center of the plot tries to maintain relevance on the fumes of unconfronted awkward tension all the way up until the last 20 minutes. Even then, it's handled in such bafflingly poor taste that the payoff is eclipsed by confusion about what we're even supposed to feel about it.

Also, literally the main character's entire family dies at the beginning of the movie and it doesn't matter at all. It's a waste of time whenever it comes up. She just says "I need to step out for a moment" a couple of times and then carries on life as normal. This is some breast cancer scene from The Room level bullshit.

I just keep thinking about how perfectly interconnected all the elements were in Hereditary and it's really hard to come to terms with this being done by the same guy.