Signs

Signs ★★★★½

M. Night Shyamalan is my boy. Despite The Happening being one of the most stupid things I’ve ever seen, and despite the fact that I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch After Earth or The Last Airbender I just love the bloke. Split, Sixth Sense and Unbreakable all go so hard, and even Glass I really enjoyed. Unsurprisingly I subsequently really liked Signs.

The way everything is shot is so beautiful and creative. Unique camera angles and tricks help to give off such a daunting feel which fits the overall tone of the film. The building of tension had me hooked from the start, and it’s helped wonderfully by a perfect score from James Newton Howard. It’s a shame Mel Gibson is our lead considering how much of a knob he is, but his performance he is really good - as are the turnouts from Joaquin Phoenix and a young Rory Culkin and Abigail Breslin.

The use of faith as horror; the explorations of luck and belief; the brilliant mixing of suspense, scares and humour: this is up there with the top tier Shyamalan flicks as far as I’m concerned. It’s atmospheric as hell, every character is well fleshed out and easy to care about and the ending is really kinda goofy as fuck but I dug it.

That little 2 second reveal of the alien in Brazil when it steps across frame gave me chills man.

Ryan liked these reviews