Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall ★★★

"I just went from six to midnight."

I shouldn't have been surprised that I didn't particularly enjoy the barely competent turd Get Him To The Greek, when I didn't really care for the film it originated from in the first place. But, whether it was my appetite for raunchy comedies or that there was nothing else I felt like watching, I popped Forgetting Sarah Marshall into the dvd player and prepared to take the underwhelming trip for the third time.

The problem with this film isn't with it's script or it's cast, it lies with it's director Nicholas Stoller. He comes off as a Judd Apatow-lite, trying to mix a character driven story with vulgar humour that Apatow does so well. But what he doesn't take from Apatow is that characters and story comes first, not cheap laughs. There are moments when the characters are really fleshed out and developed, but Stoller immediately follows it with a cheap sex-related gag or something of the like. It takes away from the impact of these nice scenes, which Stoller handles really well, but the film ends up coming across as an unfortunately uneven mix.

Jason Segel's solid script deserved much better, as did his fantastic performance in the lead, and the supporting cast, especially supporting colour like Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd and Bill Hader, generate some great laughs. Russell Brand must be growing on me, because he didn't get on my nerves at all, in fact I quite enjoyed his performance here, as I did with Get Him To The Greek.

It's actually the cast and the moments of greatness in the mediocrity that almost had me boost it's rating to a three-and-a-half... but the use of Jason Segel's penis as a running gag kept it down.

Richard liked these reviews