Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★½

"We've already established that you destroying the ship I'm on is not saving me!"
"When did we establish that?"
"Like three seconds ago?"
"I wasn't listening. I was thinking of something else..."

I don't get very excited about comic book films. Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few I've loved and I don't think there's ever been one that I've disliked, but overall it's not my thing. Guardians Of The Galaxy is undoubtedly one of the most entertaining experiences I've had in the theatre this year, but it hasn't changed my feelings on the comic book genre and actually has some flaws that kept me from giving it a higher rating.

Specifically, it's the second act that keeps me from giving it a higher rating. From the moment they leave the prison and until they get onto Yondu's ship, it drags and has some clunky character development that could've worked had it not been just chucked in there and not even touched on for the rest of the film, especially in the case of Rocket.

However, for the rest of the film, it's a lot of light, witty fun. There's some great, hilarious dialogue and a perfect cast to match, with Chris Pratt being the easy standout. Pratt has recently become a bit of an A-lister, thanks to his casting in this, The Lego Movie and the future Jurassic World, and it's easy to see why after seeing him here. He carries the movie with likeable personality and a lot of confidence.

As an inexperience comic book reader, I don't have a lot of knowledge of the characters, but James Gunn brings me right up to speed with Guardians Of The Galaxy, which is destined to be one of the year's biggest hits. It's just a shame it suffers from a less-than-spectacular middle section.

Oh yeah, and Awesome Mix Vol. 1 rules.

Richard liked these reviews