Chinatown ★★★★½

" Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown."

I finally got around to watching what is considered to be not only one of the best films of the 70's, but also one of the best films of all time. The question is does it live up to the hype its had for all these years?

The short answer is yes. The performances are outstanding from everyone. Jack Nicholson gives one of his absolute best performances along side other great performances of his, such as One flew over the cuckoos nest and the shining. Faye Dunaway is excellent. John Huston( Yes, the same John Huston who directed the excellent Treasure of the Sierra Madre) is great. Even the supporting cast, such as Burt Young of Rocky fame, is excellent.

The directing is amazing. It's also one of the best shot movies I've ever seen, right a long side movies such as 2001: a space odyssey, good fellas, raging bull and there will be blood. The script is also amazing. So you may be asking why I didn't give this 5 stars?

There are some slow moments in this movie and I mean really slow. Not enough to lose interest, but enough to ask when is the plot going to move a long. Also, the few " action" sequences in the film are very poorly put together in my opinion. It may be a minor nitpick, but it really took me out of the movie whenever they appeared.

Overall, I highly recommend this movie. It truly is one of the all time greats and falls just short of masterpiece for me personally, but I still highly recommend you see this. It's a must watch.

Ryley liked these reviews