Paterson

Paterson ★★★★★

Masterpiece

Jarmusch does it again. I feel like this is a movie that everybody should experience. The way it(and its main character) look at life is simply fantastic. He lives such a simple life, that to many of us would look incredibly boring, but to him, it's all he needs and wants. Some of us are rich and have everything we want, but we still want more and are incredibly unfulfilled and unhappy with life. Paterson looks at his life and all he has(his wife, his job, his love of poetry) and truly appreciates it. He's happy living a simple life, while many of us are unhappy living an extraordinary life. Even temporary setbacks don't hold him back for that long.

Looking at my life, I'd like to think that I am pretty happy. I have what a lot of people would consider to be a pretty good life(and I feel like I do too), but am I happy with everything I have and with all my successes? Sometimes, yeah. I look back at my past achievements(getting my licence, graduating high school, getting into a great college, etc.) and am ecstatic about what I have achieved. But I also look at my failures at life(not going to get into them now) and everything I've wanted to do, but haven't and wonder if I could have done more, if I could have been better at trying to achieve some of my dreams. Sure, I'm still young(I'm only 20), but compared to some of the people I know, my achievements are basically nothing. Should I be unhappy, despite all I've done? Paterson teaches me that I shouldn't look at my failures and what I don't have and what I haven't done yet. I should appreciate and be happy with what I have now and in time, all of my dreams could come true in the future. I think almost everybody could take a lesson from this movie.

Thank you Paterson, it's been awhile since I could really truly say that a movie has taught me something and that something was actually for the better. It's also been awhile since I could say that I've truly been proud of something I've written in life (This is probably crap and not what Jarmusch intended at all, but this is what I got out of the movie).

Block or Report