Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★★

GRADE: B+

The second installment of the Pirates franchise is the other movie in this series that I had previously seen when I was a kid. I have fond memories of watching it and Davy Jones used to terrify me. It’s not quite as good as the first but the cast is still loads of fun and they try to go bigger and don’t really fail at it like other franchises have done.

Gore Verbinski had a clear vision for his trilogy and did it. It feels final consistent in tone and the story is a good natural progression from Curse of the Black Pearl. I gotta say the CGI for Davy Jones is some of the best ever. If I didn’t know it was CGI I would’ve assumed it was practical because It’s THAT good, especially for 2006. The entire design of the Flying Dutchman and the crew look awesome. Everything about these movies have a really cool look to it. All of our characters are still a joy to watch and some storylines went in places I was not expecting. Adding Bill Nighy and Stellan Scarsgard is always a plus. These Pirates movies are pretty dark for being Disney.

The reason I don’t think Dead Man’s Chest is better than COTBP is due to the story being more convoluted. The first was easy to follow and simple enough despite a lot of exposition. Here we get even more exposition with even more plot points going around. They crammed a lot into 2.5 hours and the next movie is even longer.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest is a really good sequel. It has everything that we loved about the first and goes deeper into this Pirates lore. I hadn’t seen it in so long that the ending really caught me off guard, it was so unexpected.