The Boondock Saints ★★

And shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri, Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

The Boondocks Saints
is about two brothers who decide to take justice in their own hands and become vigilantes and killing the wicked they believe plague the streets. I have a weird relationship with this movie. A lot works and a lot doesn’t. It’s by no means great or even good but it accomplishes something that’s incredibly entertaining even if it is purely superficial.

The Pros: Some of the acting is pretty good while all of the dialogue is great. Willem Dafoe steals the entire movie from under the protagonists and its genuinely hilarious. He may be the most alpha homosexual I’ve ever seen in anything. The structure works even if the pacing doesn’t, I like how we see the murders play out from Smeckers POV after they’ve already happened. The film is also pretty self aware even if it is self aware cringe.

The Cons: The editing in this movie is sloppy. Tons of unnecessary fade ins and outs, scenes aren’t entirely coherent with the next, the text during the intro credits is really bad. nothing separates the name cards to the credits so it makes us ignore them. Not all of the acting is great, Rocco is really fucking annoying. Why does he actually think his mob bosses care about him when he was just venting about them in the previous scene. Rocco finishes his adlib as he's getting punched by Ivan in the beginning scene. Also, why is Ivan wearing the same clothes the next day?

So this isn’t a pro or con because it’s incredibly subjective but the movie 150% glorifies vigilantism and the idea that everyday citizens should clean their streets. I don’t personally agree with this. The justice system is super flawed as it focuses primarily on punishment rather than rehabilitation however creating an entirely new system of vigilantism leaves room for so many errors it’s enough to make the head spin. This idea appeals to the dumb frat boy side of our ego that’s like “Yeah, we should just kill all the people we don’t like. That’ll make everything bettter.” I can appreciate that for what it is but on the most minute, unintelligent level.

Definitely below average, it works very well with the dialogue provided, there are some extraordinary performances however the flaws greatly outweigh the positives even if I grew up loving this one. The editing is a mess, performances are fffffffine and the pacing is kinda choppy. Definitely deserving of its cult classic title.

Sakamoto133 liked these reviews