2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

(On my last day as a 2nd year architecture student, I stayed up one more night, boarded a plane, and arrived in San Francisco by sunrise. In the afternoon, 2001: A Space Odyssey was showing a few miles away from the museum I had searched like a stuffed purse and exited; a quaint 6:00PM showtime fit soundly into my blank itinerary. So, convenience gave way to my first viewing of this film.)

2001: A Space Odyssey is an ontological exposition; where tools evolve in tandem with humanity; and where, conversely, an omniscient force withholds human reach. The cinematic historiography of early to then-future homo-sapiens; and the technology by which they may thrive; shifts contritely when humanity enters in conflict with the computational grandeur of their own making; which indelibly leads them to return to the fabric of the cosmos; as vertebrate forms to an endless velum of time & space.

Prose diffuses to figures. Largeness contrasts the small. Terse and brooding frames capture the delicate, ephemeral, and the unseen. The film exposes a thematic paradox (of what is made and unmade) with a penultimate, multi-colored, boundless and jarring symphony of incoherence; a culminate form of human progress which, from the film's onset, scales in focus and permutable candor over time. Contrast is the only means of making any sense here.

Amid one's thrust to weather each context with understanding; as the viewer, I felt like I entered a bead-strung, Turrellian-toned stucco-walled space that was stuck in between clairvoyance and absurdity; such so that from within a central nerve, there burns a will to be.

A story of the objects by which humanity confesses power, dominance and existence -- a fantastical thriller in which tremor unfolds and extinction sobers.

2001: A Space Odyssey. A viewing, in which, to be!