Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★★

This is the kind of film that moves mountains with a touch – the kind of minimalist expression that emotionally amplifies additional viewings with its breathtaking nuance and sensitivity. There’s scarcely a moment that doesn’t touch the bone of reality or the center of the heart.

The sound distorts in and out, leaving spoken dialogue in the periphery – what we’re left with are gut wrenching performances of the eyes and the body: career defining and momentous not just for Riz Ahmed, but also for Olivia Cooke and Paul Raci. I’ve never seen such profound expression with so little said.

And when the sound distorts back in – it’s impossibly vivid, emulating intimate and intrusive sensations. It’s terrifying and awe-inspiring. Somehow, the film captures the claustrophobia of hearing loss, the cacaphony of the mundane, and the meditation of stillness – all in one graceful stroke.

I’ve thought about this movie every day since I first saw it, and I’ve been yelling praise from every peak while waiting to experience it again. Second viewing solidifies this as the best film of 2020 – I’ll yell it, I’ll sign it, and I’ll drum it onto every hard surface. I love loving movies as much as I love this one.

Block or Report