Digging for Fire ★★★½

Joe Swanberg's mumble-core works on me in a similar but wholly different way from Noah Baumbach's mumble-core. Maybe it's the Chicago connection (I love all the little ways Chicago shows up in Swanberg's work), or maybe it's just the mix of his go-to cast members, Jake Johnson, Rosemarie Dewitt, Orlando Bloom, Anna Kendrick, Brie Larson, and others. But in films like this, Drinking Buddies, and Easy, I find myself getting lost in their smalltalk. Their conversations remind me of so many conversations I have with my friends. I feel connected to these characters.

In a small scene, Lee is talking to an Uber driver. He's talking about his recent divorce. He describes how, after, so many years of living with family, roommates, his wife, his children, he's now alone, and he's happy. He's become exactly who he is. He's not afraid anymore. He can do exactly what he wants. It just took him a long time to learn what he wanted. This was a version of a conversation I've had so often recently. I, too, have learned what I want. And I have built a life for myself where I feel, wholly and unequivocally, myself.