Lady Bird ★★★★★

"Sacramento is the midwest of California" is a sentiment I can really get behind.

I felt both very seen and very attacked by Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig's solo writing and directorial debut, for my early 2000s tastes. If you're going to use Dave Matthews Band's "Crash" in 2017, you really have to know what you're doing. And Gerwig hit exactly the right notes.

The fingerprints of her collaborations with Noah Baumbach (especially Frances Ha) and in turn his shared influences from Wes Andreson are present in this film. But the women characters are so much better written and performed. There's nuance in family relationships and characters present here that Baumbach is often uninterested in. He goes out of his way to show you something awful about every one of his characters. Gerwig goes out of her way to show you something good about each of hers.

Lady Bird is a formidable directorial debut from an artist I already knew I wanted to hear more from. And it is a wonderful addition to the "coming of age" genre. Up there with Boyhood at first blush.