mother! ★★

Darren Aronofsky, may be a director for a younger film viewer. I remember seeing Requiem For a Dream and The Fountain as a teenager and being very impressed. Black Swan and The Wrestler are among some of my favorite films of all time. I think I saw The Wrestler three times in theaters when it came out.

Mother! is closer to Noah than Black Swan or The Wrestler. It is didactic, moralistic and intense all the way through. Unlike Rosemary's Baby from which it draws much inspiration, there is no levity to be found. And the allegorical story telling is too heavy handed to be effective. And the parallels between artist and God fail under even the slightest bit of scrutiny. Creativity and muses are fertile grounds for story telling but even these fail to lift the film above philosophy 101 level writing.

In terms of film-making, the hand-held camera work, and frenzied blocking and movement left me with a headache and added little to the story telling. Lighting and set design were two elements of the film that were commendable, but not enough to save the film from itself.