Hillbilly Elegy

Hillbilly Elegy

You can tell Amy Adams really wanted to win that Oscar, but her overacting was all for nothing because her performance sucked ass. I mean there were times I was actually LAUGHING out loud because of how absurd she was being. Come to think of it, the other cast members weren't all that good either besides Glenn Close.

I also think this movie had an awful message, saying that you should still love your family no matter how awful and toxic they are. I'm not even exaggerating. There's actually a scene where the grandmother tells the main character that he needs to always look out for his mom (Amy Adams) because she's family. Fuck. That. It may not sound that bad on paper, but the mom was an absolutely abhorrent human being who would constantly abuse her son. The movie tries to paint her as sympathetic for the sole reason that she's addicted to heroin. She has little to no redeeming qualities and doesn't get much redemption, other then a "where are they now?" card at the end so we know what she's up to nowadays.

I grew up with a single mother, and she's best mom anyone could ever ask for, and unlike Amy Adams she showed me unconditional love growing up. I have a great relationship with her but as I was watching the movie I told her "No offense, but if you treated me that way when I was little I would want nothing to do with you as an adult". The best part about it is that she agreed with me!
I wasn't being rude or anything, but I just could not believe that they were trying to make us sympathize with the mom even though she has few, if any, redeeming qualities.

For some reason I find it so satisfying whenever a movie tries so hard to be an Oscar winner, only for it to fail at doing so. In a few months I predict Hillbilly Elegy will be an example of this.

Casey liked these reviews