Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★½

Not of the same caliber that Infinity War fired off, but ultimately an exceptional conclusion to the MCU epic.

When I originally saw this in theaters, I was disappointed. Not enough action, too much talking and far too little "doing". Now I see it in a different, brighter light.

All the emotional resonance this film explodes with created memories that millions of people won't forget for a long time. Though I'm not as attached to these characters as deeply as other ultra fans out there, I get the impact, and I'd be lying if I said it doesn't hit me firmly in the chest. One simple moment in particular was Rocket holding hands with Nebula. Two very brash characters who broke down as humanly as anyone else among the fallout.

Now, two issues that I remain having and will forever no matter how many times I watch this are the treatments of Hulk and of Thor. To be less graphic than I'd really rather be, the writers "relieved themselves" all over these two. Hulk being a calm, celebrity status sellout? Thor being a fat, drunk, has-been? These choices were solely for laughs and it HATE THEM. I don't care what you say, I don't care your reasoning. I will try and respect whoever out there feels different, but they threw these two out with last week's garbage and I remain livid.

Besides those atrocities, Endgame pummeled the scene with one of the greatest "all-out war" sequences ever put to film, heavy emotional beats, and a satisfying finale to many arcs that lasted 11 years. Regardless of how I feel as a whole for the MCU, it's a trumph for the film industry and for comic book fans. It'll be a lifetime before something this influential comes around again.

Sam liked these reviews