Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★½

Before you slap me upside the head, I DID like this movie. But I'm not in love with it. And that's entirely because of my preferences and tastes when it comes to certain content in my movies.

Ultra violence is usually a no-go for me (why I've watched all Saw movies, I still don't know) so I went into this very cautiously. Though a lot was super over the top, it generally happened to people who deserved it, which made it more tolerable. I noticed Quentin tended to shy away from the violence when it happened to innocents, which was very clever. He never showed much on screen during these instances. But with the bad guys, it's a total bloodbath.

Also, I cannot stand the N word. It is not just because of the word, but the implications of that word. It implies that whoever said it thinks that person is nothing, or less than nothing. It puts them in a class lower than most. I get that the story needed it, it was thrown around like free candy back in those days. I get that. They could have eased up a bit though.

Most who read this review will already think of me as a frail boy who can't handle anything and will have stopped reading already. But that's just how I am. I'm not desensitized to that stuff, nor will I ever be I think.

With what I did really like, the cast is exceptional and like any Tarantino movie, I bought every line and interaction that happened on screen. Despite this, I felt they lingered on points a little too long. Did it need to be almost 3 hours? Definitely not. But it tells a great story and at times I felt like I was on an epic journey, like playing Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto. The amount of colorful characters is insane.

In closing, everything about the film was done really well. The only reasons I'm not in love were personal, and I see what everyone else sees in the movie, once you can get past the racism and bloodshed.

Sam liked these reviews