Lost in Space ★★★

Scriptwise it's really just on the level of the TV shows that were running back then, but without the sprinkles of cleverness that even STAR TREK VOYAGER or STARGATE SG-1 showed from time to time. But to be honest, that gives it 20 years later a bit of extra charme.

In terms of FX it's a cut above 98's TV level, but at least two cuts below theatrical state of the art. I mean, just the year before films like STARSHIP TROOPERS or THE FIFTH ELEMENT came out and the FX in LOST IN SPACE really don't stand the test of time.

The acting however is seriously good. Gary Oldman steals the movie and always finds the right way to deliver the classic Dr Smith lines. Everybody else is not really on that level, but nobody phones it in and even the guy from FRIENDS and the kids are good with the material that they were given.

I really can't hate this movie. The 2nd half drags and it's exactly the kind of film that you expect from something that was written by Akiva Goldsman, but it still entertains me. (Also the soundtrack album rules!)
-----