One More Time with Feeling ★★★★½

The September Movie Challenge!

Film #3

14. Go to your cinema and watch a movie: One More Time With Feeling

I cried in the cinema. In front of a full house of people. Probably the first time I've done that. It was worth it.

From it's raw emotion to it's unexpected comedy, to it's depiction of grief and depression as well as an incredible set of songs, a beautiful black and white visual style, it's ambitious and bewilderingly unique use of 3D, some absolutely gorgeous camerawork and cinematography and some of the most emotionally devastating and quotable monologues makes One More Time With Feeling easily one of the best films of the year.

I may have gone in with slight bias as a Nick Cave fan, but what I saw completely blew me away. Andrew Dominik's direction is oscar-worthy, with more dolly shots than I've seen in any other film ever. Cave is calm, refined and collected yet is simultaneously grief stricken, anxious and deeply, deeply depressed. The 3D didn't feel gimmicky and in fact, added to the films complex shots and camera angles and such. The songs were absolutely A* fantastic and the visuals accompanying these songs were just a joy to observe.

Cave's monologues were easily the highlight for me however, despite being extraordinarily depressing, they were incredibly quotable. My personal favorites were when Nick was talking about this wife and when he tried to understand how he became a 'symbol of pity'.

Even if you're not a fan of Cave, look at this as a man who has lost his child under horrible circumstances and tries to create something in order to not let grief and depression take a hold of his life completely. Look at this as an inspirational piece of art whenever you unfortunately find yourself in a similar circumstance and grab your feelings of grief and depression with a firm grip and try your best to throw them away.

If you can, try and see this in 3D, there's no other experience quite like it. Overall, One More Time With Feeling is one of the best films of the year and quite frankly, I can't wait to listen to The Skeleton Tree in it's entirety.

Dan liked these reviews