Synecdoche, New York

Synecdoche, New York ★★★★★

Masterpiece. I bet I sound like a broken record here when compared to other people’s reviews but there’s so much to break down here that it’s impossible to sum up unless you spent hours on writing an essay (which I’m sure somebody has done and is also why Criterion should a release of this because this is unbelievably hard to find a Blu-Ray copy of in the UK). I don’t know, I don’t know how to tackle talking about this without sounding like a fool. This is my second time seeing it but it felt like my first. I only gave this a 6/10 on first watch and I don’t resent myself for that at all because I can see why. This film intimidated me for the longest time and I think going into it this time, knowing what was going to happen, it was made a lot easier to sit back and actually allow myself to be intimidated by it. And of course I could derive my own personal meaning from parts fo the film. And I’d like to put emphasis on ‘personal’. Interpretation about this film isn’t definite, it will most likely change, even if just a little bit from person to person depending on who they are. “Other people aren’t extras” as it stated in the film, there’s no one perspective to look at this film from, nor anything for that matter. And that’s why I love film, because it can be admired from so many different and often opposing viewpoints and mean something entirely different from person to person. And viewpoints on each film can even differentiate on the same person’s feelings about the film on separate viewings. It’s the reason I loved this film this time around... it allowed to step back and evaluate filmmaking and why it’s so incredibly important to me.

Samuelleary liked these reviews