Amityville 3-D

Amityville 3-D ★★★½

My opinion flip flops a lot with this movie. I seem to like it every other time I watch it. Tonight's was one of the good times.

After busting a fraud spiritualist operating out of the infamous Amityville haunted house, a recently-divorced reporter buys the house cheap for himself and his daughter. The daughter's best friend is Meg Ryan, and the ghosts are 3-D.

While there are some effectively spooky moments in the film, the supernatural attacks on our characters are rather silly, yet silly in a way that often worked for '80s horror. Then again, the rest of the film has the more restrained nature of '70s horror.

I also forgot about how short it feels even though it has a normal runtime. Like, I wouldn't call it fast-paced per se, but if it were 30 minutes longer I don't know if I would have noticed. (**maybe I'm onto something: my DVD's length is 93 minutes but everywhere else says it's supposed to be 105+ minutes—what gives?)

Considering all the Amityville movies out there in the world now, many of them atrocious, this is easily one of the best ever made, for what it's worth.

Nick liked these reviews