I'm Thinking of Ending Things

I'm Thinking of Ending Things ★★½

don't want this review to come off as "i'm too dumb to understand what happened". i feel like this movie was very drawn out and pretentious.and what i mean is i got a lot of the topics this movie decided to cover  and that this was all in the guys head early on but it ultimately felt like it bit off more than it could chew which i guess comes with imagination and or maybe mental illness and last moments before death. not that every movie needs an in your face resolving final moment but this was left too ambiguous for my taste seeing as i kinda knew what was going to happen at the end but was still left with a question of "did my thoughts and expectations match what i was given?" - if that makes sense. i was totally in up until the final car scene and then ending things off at the school. i don't see myself rewatching this or thinking much of it outside of the very little bit of research i plan to do later on.

furthermore i very strongly disliked the fact that yet again a well rounded highly intellectual woman is being used as a trope for all the things missing in a mans life. feels very boring and unnecessary given the times we are living in.

visually this movie was amazing. atmosphere and tone overall were what i enjoyed most about the film.