The Devil's Whore ★★★

I mean, if Forrest Gump, instead of having scoliosis in post-war Alabama, held a driving desire to interrogate the true meaning of faith and its place in the state against the backdrop of the English Civil War, you'd probably get The Devil's Whore. There's a similar historical-tour warping of the plot, which has many more hours to become even more improbable - I think Andrea Riseborough gets hit on by both Charles I and Oliver Cromwell? The internal combustion powering this thing is really John Simm, and his noble, tortured, long-suffering Twue Wove for Riseborough's fallen lady, so if tortured anti-heroes are your romantic ideal, then this series will really work for you. For the rest of us, it is well shot and well produced, with a bunch of actors you kind of can't believe your good fortune are all in the same series: Michael Fassbender, Dominic West, and Peter Capaldi all have meaty, muttony parts, and Riseborough's fantastic, headstrong so that sometimes it's rousing and sometimes it's terrible. Not so unlike The Devil's Whore.