I'm Thinking of Ending Things ★★★

“Whether you have a wife, or just a wife-shaped loneliness waiting for you.”

Yeah, I support men’s rights! Men’s rights to shut up!!

I genuinely have no idea whether I should rate this movie two stars or five stars. I definitely would have hated it had I gone in 1.) without having read the book and 2.) without the knowledge that Kaufman is WEIRD.

The tone and the final third of the story completely deviate from the book and I’m still not sure how I feel about that. The movie’s source material is clearly the book, but the ending message and the “so what” of all of the twists and turns brings you to a completely different destination. The film lacks all of Ian Reid’s subtleties and darkness, and while this will go over well with Kaufman fanatics, I doubt this will be popular with general viewers. Again though, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing; Kaufman and Reid are painting incomparable pictures here.

I am definitely going to have to rewatch this one. I’m looking forward to the dinner scene and the final scene again, but the thought of dragging myself through 40 minutes of car rides makes me want to cry!!! This movie easily could have been 90 minutes!! Also I dislike the 1.33:1 aspect ratio here! I know that it’s a ~deep and profound artistic choice~ but come on, dude. Come to think of it, I really dislike most of the editing in this movie, besides some choices with the sound design. The transitions felt ham-handed and juvenile.

Letterboxd user Bratt Pitt has an excellent review for this movie that sums up my feelings much better than I can verbalize but yeah this gave me a Lot To Think About.

sarah hanny liked these reviews