The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence of the Lambs ★★★★

I went into The Silence of the Lambs with high expectations. I was not disappointed. This is a movie that really makes you think. Clarice Starling is one of the most likeable horror heroines, or heroines in general, that I’ve seen. Jodie Foster does a brilliant job of portraying her, but I have to say that her performance is nearly overshadowed by the incredible Anthony Hopkins. Hannibal Lecter is one of the most fascinating villains I can think of. It’s so interesting how the movie portrays him; almost as somebody you want to root for. When he isn’t eating peoples’ faces off, he comes across as an organized, mindful, and extremely intelligent man. He’s so terrifying because he’s a genius, truly. Buffalo Bill, while clearly inferior to Hannibal, is also a compelling villain. The movie does a great job of slowly revealing his intentions, doing a good job of explaining his motives without making you sympathize too much. The world he lives in is horrifying and gruesome to look at, but you can’t look away. One of the true horrors of this world, however, is also the most real. All throughout the movie POV shots from Clarice’s perspective show you how the world sees her: nothing but a piece of meat. It makes you think that maybe the scariest villains aren’t those that are convicted of brutal murders; they’re the ones right here working alongside with us.