2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

In the hands of any other director I'm sure this wouldn't have been considered one of the best movies of all time. But in the hands of a master like Stanley Kubrick, it's just that. A true Masterpiece!

I've put off watching this for a good while now, the reason being that I wanted to gain the maturity to truly take in the cinematic brilliance that's on display. I really wanted to love this, and not just pretend to love it because it's universally hailed by pretty much every cinephile on the planet. Therefore I'm happy to say that I'm not pretending, and that 2001: A Space Odyssey left me in awe.

Now, I'm not sure how to review this properly. This film has been reviewed and analysed to bits by people far more knowledgeable and eloquent than myself. But I will try my best, and keep it short.

Let's start with the cinematography. Even by the standards of today, the special effects in this film are mindblowing. But this was made in 1968! What can I say? It's unreal, by far the best display of cinematography I've seen so far.

Everything else is also perfect for that matter. The soundtrack, the acting, the symbolism that I'm not fully able to grasp at first viewing. If I have only one complaint it would be that it's maybe a tad bit too slow and abstract at times, but when the movie was finished it felt as if time had stood still. As if I'm the one who've been in hibernation. I can't explain why I have this feeling, but it's an extraordinary one nonetheless.

Usually I like to save the five stars until a rewatch. In this case there's absolutely no need. 2001: A Space Odyssey is just as much a masterpiece as I've been led to believe.

Bendik liked these reviews