My Neighbor Totoro

My Neighbor Totoro ★★★★½

My Neighbour Totoro is one of Hayao Miyazaki's many fantastic animated films, and it's an incredibly charming, magical story about childhood, imagination and sisterly love. When moving in to an old house near a forest, sisters Satsuko and Mei discovers that the forest is inhabited by a tree spirit which they call Totoro.

Clearly inspired by Alice in Wonderland Miyazaki manages to create a universe equally as imaginative and magical, not to say charming. The animation is beautiful and incredibly rich in detail, and the story is heartwarming and entertaining. Every character is likable, and the friendly forest creatures are both cute and awesome at the same time. And did I forget the Catbus? The Cheshire Cat pales in comparison!

If I ever have kids, Studio Ghibli will be the first movies I introduce to them to. Sure Pixar is great, but after just watching Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro, I can confidently say that they can't touch the Japanese when it comes to making entertaining, funny, imaginative, charming, flat out magical family films. Japan, I already love you!

Bendik liked this review