The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★

82/100 Great

2021 Ranking

What I liked:
- The Mitchells vs the Machines is another solid piece of animation in Sony's library of films. The movie is frequently fun because of the quirky characters and wicked sense of humor. Even jokes that are repeated, they do not get old and always make me laugh. The satirical take on technology makes this film feel timely, which makes the humor land even better. Even the relatable scenarios with the family dynamics are hilarious from the family dinner to the dad's struggle with technology.

- Much like Spiderman into the Spiderverse, the film has a unique animation style. The different techniques used with the artistic feeling to each sequence really pops. I just love how remarkable of an achievement it is for animation.

- The film frequently takes tropes from other animated films and does something different. The payoffs of certain plotlines really work because they lead onto a direction that feels typical, then do a little bit of something different. They give a plotline to a dog and his vision, which comes out of nowhere into the defeat of the villain. It heavily led onto one resolution, and had a little twist to change it up a bit. It is another plus to this film, making it more refreshing than other films like it.

- The film has heart to spare. Even central storyline explored is the members of the Mitchell family, and every member has something to work though. The film's relationship with Katie and her Dad adds so much to the change needed for the family to reunite. The film finds multiple ways to elevate certain moments to greater depth. The Dad's love of nature had driven him away from Katie, who wants to become a filmmaker. As the film progresses, Katie realizes how much her dad really cares for her. A sequence with a log cabin becomes one of the most heartfelt sequences in this film. By the end of the film, everything is heartbreaking as people go on their own journey.

What I'm mixed about:
- There are alot of events that feel do not make a lot of sense. The emotional touch the the sequences work, but the logic becomes a bit bothersome as to why they occur. There is one sequence where the dad finally watches one of Katie's videos, and really works for building their relationship. However, why the video is shown does not make a ton of sense. It was just a bit frustrating.

What I disliked:
- There is a big logical issue with the Mitchells being the only family not captured. I kind of wish they would have at least acknowledged the fact there are other people left. However, the film never does it, and leaves me to believe they somehow did something different than everyone else in the world. Again, it isjust an issue I experienced, and I can understand why it would not bother many viewers. I just could not get past that mistake.

Final Verdict:

For me, The Mitchells vs the Machines suffers from the lack of logic in some the events. Putting that aside, the film is an animated achievement filled with heart, humor, and quirky characters. It is definitely one of the most enjoyable films of the year so far.

What did you all think of the film? Let me know in the comments.

Sutton liked these reviews