Earlier this year, over the Halloween weekend, I met up with some friends at a local bar - Three Clubs on Vine St. - at which they happened to be playing SPAWN (1997) on mute, with closed captions enabled. We didn’t come to the bar for this reason - it was just, uh, glorious serendipity. “I dub thee, Spawn!” Moments later, we discovered a giant metallic silver bowl of Doritos freely available for our express snacking and thorough enjoyment. With…
Forget PUNISHER: WAR ZONE. Goldblatt made an 80s action masterpiece.
10 reasons why you should stop everything and watch THE PUNISHER now:
1. Dolph Lundgren (!) as Frank Castle / The Punisher.
2. Jeroen Krabbe (!) as the new don of the Italian mafia.
3. Explosions. Lots of 'em. Explosions within explosions.
4. Scuba-Ninjas. Stop. Read it again. Fucking scuba-ninjas!
5. A deadly woman who crucifies a man with her earrings.
6. A vision of Castle as a broken, fragile,…
"If something excites you, be brave. And go! Try to do it good, but do it." - Menahem Golan
Two cousins, their sincere love of cinema, and the collapse of their empire.
Hartley's previous doc (MACHETE MAIDENS UNLEASHED!) fell victim to a sad tragedy in that it spent ninety agonizing minutes making fun of and shaming its subject matter. ELECTRIC BOOGALOO begins with the same regrettable tone, calling the films "silly," "stupid," and "low budget," but after 15 minutes, the…