BlacKkKlansman

BlacKkKlansman ★★★★

If there’s a silver lining to the Trump presidency, it’s that it inspired Spike Lee to spark up one badass joint. BlacKkKlansman showcases a return of Spike to his strengths - heavy on the humor but with enough political urgency to make the audience take a step back and think about society at large. That’s the Spike Lee that I love. The performances were great across the board and the writing was even better. However, the ending seemed a little out of place and redundant. Anyone willing to pay ten dollars to see a new Spike Lee film knows beyond a show of a doubt that racism is alive and well. Obviously the message isn’t out of tune, but as a stylistic decision, the documentary style was a little off-putting to say the least. Anyway, there was a lot of empathy for the cops here and I respect that. Mr. Lee might be angry and abrasive, but I’ll be damned if he’s not intelligent and insightful. Boots Riley should really take some notes, because this is how you make a movie about racism without being hypocritical. All in all, BlacKkKlansman is a super-tight joint. I dig it and I urge all of my sistas and brothas to go see it. All power to ALL the people!

Chance liked these reviews