Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy ★★★★

Part X of Running the Franchise: A Nightmare on Elm Street

After having watched all nine films in the series, I wrapped things up by watching the massively informative and entertaining documentary about the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series Never Sleep Again .

I was a bit flustered by its 4 hour runtime, but it was worth every minute. Although it's a fairly ordinarily made talking-head style doc, it was just so much fun to hear almost everyone involved with the series talk about their fascinating experiences of building one of the most popular horror franchises of all time.
In some cases, like the dreadful NOES 5: The Dream Child it was actually way more entertaining and interesting hearing about the film being made than actually watching it.

There are many fascinating people involved in this, from the intelligent and hugely creative creator of the series, Wes Craven to Freddy himself, Robert Englund, but the true MVP of the series seems to be Rachel Talalay, a producer on the series and director of Freddy's Dead . She's positively glowing with enthusiasm for the series and it's so nice to see that someone like her, who worked her way up the ladder, finally was able to helm a film herself.

Other highlights include NOES 2's screenwriter, David Chaskin, admitting the film's homosexual subtext, a detour into Freddy's TV show, the way the long gestation of Freddy vs Jason is explored, the numerous introductions of various cast members and so much more.
Furthermore, I was pleasantly surprised that Never Sleep Again never once descended into pure hagiography and alwas critically discussed the perks and short-comings of each entry in the series. Of course, it's a documentary permeated with nostalgia, but I loved that, because I had ultimately such a great time with the series.

Next up: I'm leaving Elm Street and will be setting camp at Crystal Lake, watching all the films in the Friday the 13th series. Hopefully, I won't be hacked to death. See you there!