Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★

Wish I could've seen this in theaters, especially in IMAX 3-D. The visuals are really the most bold part of this film.

The story was pretty good. But, my cynical side was telling me..."How does a studio make a black/Latino Spider-Man movie without upsetting the apple cart?" You know...certain types of people with political and social leanings? Aka...the "Spider-Man is only white" people.

Answer: Make the story about multiple universes with all kinds of Spider-Men/Women. Also, make the film animated.

How safely written was the character of Miles Morales? He had no edge whatsoever. We don't see him experiencing any racism. He’s designed as the black male that makes white people feel safe. Yet, Miles didn't even get a love interest. Just more of the Rey-Finn friends zone formula. Didn't every rendition of Spider-Man have at least one love interest? But overall, this was a fun movie. I just couldn't help but notice the filmmakers were pulling their punches from a story & character perspective.

This movie won Best Animated Feature on the same night Green Book won Best Picture. The irony.

Schizopolis23 liked these reviews