Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★

Mini Review

I'm not a zombie guy. I can't stand them. I'm also not a big Zack Snyder fan, I quite liked Watchmen but I think his DC movies are poor. Needless to say I wasn't expecting to enjoy Army of the Dead.

However, I am happy to say that the film was better than I expected. The signature Zack Snyder visuals are definitely distracting at times but they do feel a lot more fitting in a film like this - a crazy, action-packed, heist/zombie gorefest than in something like Justice League.

Dave Bautista once again proves that he's a great actor and his character serves as the emotional center of the story. The rest of the ensemble are pretty forgettable, but Tig Notaro's (digitally inserted) character is hilarious.

The film is two-and-a-half hours long which is excessive and definitely would've benefitted from a good forty minutes of cutting. Overall though, it was fine. Total nonsense but pretty fun. Army of the Dead is exactly what you'd expect from a Zack Snyder-directed action heist movie with an army of zombies.