Dune

Dune ★★★★½

Mini Review

The world of Dune is so rich in mythology that it's incredibly difficult to make a singular movie about it - which is why director Denis Villeneuve has made this 'Part One' of two. The structure of the film does feel somewhat unique and the runtime is long, but it never feels like it's dragging its feet.

Villeneuve's visuals have always been astounding, Blade Runner 2049 was one of the most beautiful films of the 2010s and Dune is a step above even that. The masterful use of scale and the mindblowing visual effects truly convinced me that in this day and age anything is possible in the world of filmmaking.

The ensemble cast is fantastic as expected and each actor, regardless of screentime, gets their time to shine. Hans Zimmer's score is also beautiful and entrancing, which I'm sure anybody could've guessed coming from a legend like him.

The only criticism I can think of is that some of the dialogue is hard to understand at times, in particular Rebecca Ferguson's character Lady Jessica, so I would encourage finding a subtitled screening if you can (this also supports the hard of hearing community).