Catch Me If You Can ★★★★½

I spent more time during this viewing paying attention to the Hanks/Hanratty scenes, and it unlocked something that plenty of others must have noticed, but really didn't sink in for me before previously. Most of what we see in Hanratty is irritation, mostly for comedic effect, but that irritation has a very specific purpose: He's all business, and has no stomach for those who don't appreciate that. He has nothing else in his life but his work, which we could look at in a chicken-or-the-egg manner with regard to his failed marriage, and his parallels with Frank Sr. aren't exactly subtle. But Hanratty & Frank Jr. become flip-sides of looking at the American Dream: Frank wants his father to be proud of him because he has it all, where Hanratty believes you need to earn it all. He's less Javert than he is the surrogate father who can't understand the kids these days. And the last shot focuses on the drab FBI office full of seemingly menial activity, but finally offering a place where Frank Jr. has come to terms with earning a living.
I'd also like to note that despite there being plenty of individual moments in earlier Spielberg films that are funny, this is the first time that he fully seems in control of how to pace and construct comedy. Delightful pretty much from start to finish, even though I still don't know what to make of the whole Jennifer Garner negotiation. I guess now I have a reason to watch it another time.