Cannibal Holocaust

Cannibal Holocaust

Cannibal Holocaust is by far one of the most disturbing films ever conceived. The film has gained notoriety for its depiction of actual animal killings and the treatment of the natives by the director. I had been dreading viewing the film for years but I finally sat down and checked it out, and I kind of wish I didn't.

Cannibal Holocaust definitely deserves its spot as one of the most controversial films ever made. This is a repulsive film and it doesn't hold back in the slightest. There were many moments in the film that had me cringing and looking away due to the excessive brutality on screen. It all felt too visceral. If this film has any actual merits for me it would be the way the filmmaker managed to make it all feel so real. Ruggero Deodato, the director of Cannibal Holocaust, was arrested and accused of actually murdering the cast.

I'm still conflicted about how I felt about the overall themes of Cannibal Holocaust; its attempt to show western ignorance and the sensationalist media in our society feels hypocritical in a lot of ways (Since the film truly is exploitation) and I felt the killing of actual animals was unnecessary.

I'll more than likely never revisit Cannibal Holocaust again just due to how horrifying/disturbing it is. I cannot really give it a rating either. It's a disgusting film but it is one that I will never forget.

Scotty liked these reviews