La Haine

La Haine ★★★★★

They say it's not about how you fall, that it's about how you land, but that's easy to say when you've already landed, when you've ridden the elevator safely to the bottom; for Hubert and Saïd and Vinz, all they do is fall. There is no stability for them, no opportunity to assume their own identity outside of the one provided for them by others, no final arrival at their sociological destination where they can finally be themselves for themselves. Their entire realities are mediated by observation. They learn about themselves and their lives from movies and television. They watch the riots on TV, they hotwire a car like they saw on TV. They try to shut off the Eiffel Tower, but "that only works in movies," they say — but as they walk away, the tower shuts off. There's no escaping being seen, and how you present yourself to the world is a matter of life and death, but what if we offer different ways of being seen? What if we give the disenfranchised back their own perspective, what if we offer them a way of being seen that's genuinely their own, true to their life experience, written about real events and directed by people who experienced those events personally?

1990s | France | Patreon

Read my full review for La Haine on Patreon. Special thanks to my patrons Hasturtium, Xplodera, Martin Cheney, geo, Jacob, Cass Saldaña, nablus, Andrew Conkling, Deckk, Nicholas Shaffer, sakana1, Brilee ✨, mosquitodragon, and RepoJack, you make me feel so special every day. If you (dear reader) enjoy my analytical approach to criticism and my didactic writing style then maybe you'll also feel at home here. Join us.

ScreeningNotes liked these reviews